About Me

My photo
Friendly, energetic, loquacious, ambitious

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Secret to Spaghetti Squash

I've been enjoying spaghetti squash as a good, low carb side item with my tilapia and broccoli. Its a large vegetable, so it goes a long way. My only complaint about it, until recently, was that "it takes too long to cook." However, I shouldn't have been complaining because I would simply cut it open and bake the halves in a little water at 350 degrees for 45minutes while I went and did cardio.

Thanks to a tip from a nice woman in my Monday 7pm Spin class at Meyerland I can now cook it faster and easier (the American way right?). However, this fast food won't clog the arteries and add inches to the waist or hips.

"Enough commentary...share the secret!" you say? Ok, the secret is that we no longer have to wait to eat this dish AND we are using the microwave so we are saving $$ on energy! The secret to this secret is in step #3:

1) Cut the squash in half
2) Scoop out the seeds
3) Cook/microwave the with the meat(insides) down or skin/shell up in a microwavable dish for 15 minutes (a little more if the insides don't easily string apart with a fork)
4) Take a shower while it cooks; optional. (if you are like me you are cooking this as a fast, healthy food option after leaving the gym)
5) Scrape the insides with a fork to create the spaghetti.
6) Add healthy sides or toppings

Spill your secret to great recipes, sides, or toppings that involve spaghetti squash! "Inquiring minds want to know."

If you want a recipe idea that includes this FABULOUS veggie, look under recipes on my website: www.fit2befab.com.



Stay FITABULOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment